“He (Andrew) first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, ‘We have found the Messiah’ (which is translated, the Christ)” (John 1:41) “Philip found Nathanael and said to him, ‘We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote – – Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph’” (John 1:45) “He came to His own (things, domain), and His own (people) did not receive Him” (John 1:11)
- All the writers of the Bible were of Jewish descent (Romans 3:2 “…to them were committed the oracles of God”).
- That would include all the writers of the New Testament, including the writer of the Gospel of John.
- John records of Andrew and Simon (Peter) – – both Jewish – – that they had found the Messiah (God’s Anointed One). They were referring to THE Messiah – – the One of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote.
- In His earthly lifetime (some 2,000 years ago), this Jesus, the Messiah, fulfilled more than 300 predictions given in the Hebrew Scriptures (the Old Testament) concerning Him. [The mathematical possibility of such fulfillment is simply staggering]! It had to be divinely fulfilled!
- There are a number of extra-biblical sources that give credence to the person and work of this very same Jesus (the great historian Flavius Josephus, for example)!
One may weakly argue that since this Messiah did not fulfill the requirements of the Kingdom He had promised, He could not have been the promised One.
This shallow argument is easily rebutted in the fact that although Jesus did not at that time establish His promised Kingdom, in no wise means that He would not do so in the future – – He certainly will!
John’s conclusion is as apropos today as it has been for the past 2,000 years:
“But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12). He’s the true and only Messiah of God! BECOME His child by BELIEVING in His name!