He remembers His covenant forever, The word which He commanded, for a thousand generations, The covenant which He made with Abraham, And His oath to Isaac, And confirmed it to Jacob for a statute, To Israel as an everlasting covenant, (Psalm 105:8–10)
- Few will argue that Judaism began with Abraham (c. 2000 B.C.).
- Many will argue that the Jew does not belong. The antagonism against the Jews historic and ubiquitous. Throughout history,
satan’sdiabolical attacks against the Jewish people have been more than obvious (from Pharaoh, to Haman, to the Spanish Inquisition, to the Russian Pogroms, to Hitler, and to Islamic Jihad today)!
- All too many have participated in these assaults or attacks (entire nations, media outlets worldwide, politicians, universities, and the list goes on and on)! The instruments against the Jews are also too numerous to mention here! And what did they do to deserve this??
- Ah, yes, and let’s not forget the “Evangelicals” who believe that God is through with the Jews and that the Church has replaced Israel. This is better known as “Replacement Theology,” and is especially to be found among Reformed groups like the PCUSA. Supposedly the Church has inherited the blessings of Israel (but what about the curses)??
- Let’s investigate God’s centralized prophetic program with and through the Jewish people (somewhat chronologically) from the beginning:
A.We begin with God’s covenant with Abraham (Genesis 12, 15, 17 …)! This foundational and unconditional (one-sided) covenant contained several elements:
- God covenanted with Abraham that his DESCENDANTS would become a great nation (Genesis 12:1-3; 13:16; 15:5; 17:7; 22:17, 18).
- God covenanted with Abraham that his descendants would be given a portion of LAND they would call their own forever (Genesis 15:18-21). This would include modern-day Israel and parts of Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq. This awaits a future fulfillment (Isaiah 60:21; Ezekiel 34:13).
- God covenanted with Abraham that through him and his descendants all the world would experience BLESSINGS. This has already been fulfilled through Jesus Christ as well as will be in the conditions on the earth during the 1,000-year reign of Christ (Genesis 12:2, 3).
B. Today, we find that a number of our Jewish friends are blinded spiritually (Romans 11:25). But God has not cast them away (Romans 11:2) nor abrogated His eternal covenant with them! They are beloved by God (Romans 11:28). Remember, they did not choose themselves – – God is the One who sovereignty chose them (Deuteronomy 7:6-8)!
- For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. (Romans 11:25)
- God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel, saying, (Romans 11:2)
- Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. (Romans 11:28)
- “For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth. The Lord did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any other people, for you were the least of all peoples; but because the Lord loves you, and because He would keep the oath which He swore to your fathers, the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you from the house of bondage, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt. (Deuteronomy 7:6–8)
C. But how should we understand those Jews who are evil and rebellious against their own Scriptures? (A clear answer is provided in Ezekiel 20, especially verse 38; and 34:16-17).
- I will purge the rebels from among you, and those who transgress against Me; I will bring them out of the country where they dwell, but they shall not enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Lord. (Ezekiel 20:38)
- “I will seek what was lost and bring back what was driven away, bind up the broken and strengthen what was sick; but I will destroy the fat and the strong, and feed them in judgment. ”‘And as for you, O My flock, thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I shall judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and goats. (Ezekiel 34:16–17)
- As a side-note: there are several sub-categories of Jews today (as in most denominations) – – Messianic, Karaites, Ultra-Orthodox, Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, Reconstructionist, etc. However, according to God’s reckoning there are only 2 kinds of Jews – – believing and unbelieving. This is certainly true of all non-Jews as well! Furthermore, to put all Jews into one category is like putting all Christians, or all belief-systems, into one category! One is either a believer or not, no matter how else one is labeled!
D. As we approach the Tribulation period, anti-Semitism will intensify (Daniel 12:1). The second half of the Tribulation especially will bode very poorly for the Jews. Jeremiah calls it “the time of Jacob’s trouble” (Jeremiah 30:7). After this, believing Jews will be delivered and enter the Millennial kingdom of Christ, the Son of David (Zechariah 13:8-9)!
- “At that time Michael shall stand up, The great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people; And there shall be a time of trouble, Such as never was since there was a nation, Even to that time. And at that time your people shall be delivered, Every one who is found written in the book. (Daniel 12:1)
- Alas! For that day is great, So that none is like it; And it is the time of Jacob’s trouble, But he shall be saved out of it. (Jeremiah 30:7)
- And it shall come to pass in all the land,”Says the Lord, “That two-thirds in it shall be cut off and die, But one-third shall be left in it: I will bring the one-third through the fire, Will refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them. I will say, ‘This is My people’; And each one will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’ ” (Zechariah 13:8–9)
Some concluding remarks:
- Since the covenant with Israel is eternal, so are its people And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you. (Genesis 17:7) “I have made a covenant with My chosen,I have sworn to My servant David:‘Your seed I will establish forever,And build up your throne to all generations.’ ”Selah
- Genuine Christians owe a great debt to the Jews: Their Bibles, their root, and their Savior came from them!
- Remember that Jesus is a Jew! You can’t “love” Him and hate His own beloved people Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May they prosper who love you. Peace be within your walls,Prosperity within your palaces.” (Psalm 122:6–7)! Pray for their salvation and peace!
- Bless the Jew any and every way you can, and God will bless you.
One thought on “The Jew: The Central Focus of God’s Prophetic Program”
Thank you, John so much. It is so clear and plainly explained. Do you send this to Betty, Sarah and Jim (Avi) and Steven? I just want everyone to read it. I was texting Jen and she said that Rylie just loved being with you and Janet. Rylie loves you and had so much fun getting to know you. You ARE pretty special. 🙂 I hope you were able to get to the dentist. Praying for you as you faithfully preach the Word! Debbie
Sent from my iPhone