- The last days (in which we live) will be characterized as “perilous” or “fierce”. But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:” (2 Timothy 3:1) The context of Matthew 8:28 uses this word in a setting involving demonic activity. When He had come to the other side, to the country of the Gergesenes, there met Him two demon-possessed men, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so that no one could pass that way.” (Matthew 8:28)
- We are told that things will become progressively worse. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.” (2 Timothy 3:13)
- Things will happen that must “shortly” or suddenly take place. The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John,” (Revelation 1:1) Then he said to me, “These words are faithful and true.” And the Lord God of the holy prophets sent His angel to show His servants the things which must shortly take place.” (Revelation 22:6) Once they begin, they will happen in short order.
- We are prevented from having any part of the 7-year Tribulation period. Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,” (2 Thessalonians 2:1–3) ~ Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.” (Revelation 3:10) Jesus will forcefully steal all genuine believers out from this world (ἁρπάζω – harpazō), after which they will be rewarded.
- We shouldn’t be surprised that the world hates Christians. “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates Me hates My Father also.” (John 15:18–23)
- The judgment of unbelievers will be severe and eternal. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.” (Revelation 20:15)
Significance (not necessarily in chronological order) – –
- Our times in which we live show us that the Bible is true. Declaring the end from the beginning,And from ancient times things that are not yet done,Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,And I will do all My pleasure,’” (Isaiah 46:10) Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.” (John 17:17)
- The stage is set for the invasion of Russia and her allies (see Ezekiel 38, 39). No one will side with Israel, except a Saudi whimper. Sheba, Dedan, the merchants of Tarshish, and all their young lions will say to you, ‘Have you come to take plunder? Have you gathered your army to take booty, to carry away silver and gold, to take away livestock and goods, to take great plunder? ~ (Ezekiel 38:13) You will come up against My people Israel like a cloud, to cover the land. It will be in the latter days that I will bring you against My land, so that the nations may know Me, when I am hallowed in you, O Gog, before their eyes.” ~ (Ezekiel 38:16) So I will make My holy name known in the midst of My people Israel, and I will not let them profane My holy name anymore. Then the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel. Surely it is coming, and it shall be done,” says the Lord God. “This is the day of which I have spoken.” (Ezekiel 39:7–8)
- The world is preparing for the antichrist’s rule. “Thus he said:‘The fourth beast shall beA fourth kingdom on earth,Which shall be different from all other kingdoms,And shall devour the whole earth,Trample it and break it in pieces.” (Daniel 7:23) ~ And I saw one of his heads as if it had been mortally wounded, and his deadly wound was healed. And all the world marveled and followed the beast.” (Revelation 13:3)
- The Jews are put on notice for the coming worldwide anti-Semitism. Alas! For that day is great,So that none is like it;And it is the time of Jacob’s trouble,But he shall be saved out of it.” (Jeremiah 30:7) ~ “At that time Michael shall stand up,The great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people;And there shall be a time of trouble,Such as never was since there was a nation,Even to that time.And at that time your people shall be delivered,Every one who is found written in the book.” (Daniel 12:1) ~ And it shall happen in that day that I will make Jerusalem a very heavy stone for all peoples; all who would heave it away will surely be cut in pieces, though all nations of the earth are gathered against it.” (Zechariah 12:3)
- The world as a whole will worship the antichrist, while those who won’t will suffer beheading. And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.” (Revelation 20:4) This “one-world religion” will basically be anti-Bible. who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (2 Thessalonians 2:4–12) ~ and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.” (2 Timothy 4:4) ~ And I saw one of his heads as if it had been mortally wounded, and his deadly wound was healed. And all the world marveled and followed the beast. So they worshiped the dragon who gave authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast? Who is able to make war with him?”And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months. Then he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, His tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven.” (Revelation 13:3–6)
- Today’s circumstances help purify the true Church Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.” (1 John 3:1–3) and make our hope in the rapture even more blest! looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,” (Titus 2:13)
- Jesus’ (coming) is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors!” (Matthew 24:33) ~ Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.”” (Luke 21:28)
- Therefore, do not fear. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27) ~ For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7)
- So, be at peace! These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”” (John 16:33) ~ Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6–7)