Lately, I’ve heard a number of people asking why Jesus hasn’t come yet to take believers home to heaven. It almost sounds like II Peter 3:4 – – “Where is the promise of His coming?” Believers are more than anxious to leave this miserable earth! We’re becoming very impatient! After all,
- Aren’t we told in Hebrews 10:37 that Jesus is not tarrying (delaying)?!
- Isn’t Jesus just “sitting around” in heaven (and I quote this respectfully)! (Colossians 3:1; Hebrews 10:12, 13).
So, what’s the “holdup?” May I suggest that we have some very good answers in Scripture regarding the long wait for Christ’s coming:
I. The first answer is that Jesus is currently PRAYING for us!
- Romans 8:34 and Hebrews 7:25 make it clear that Christ is interceding for us today! [Both present and active tense grammatically]!
- So, what is He praying for in our regards?
- That our faith should not fail (Luke 22:32).
- That we may not enter into temptation (Luke 22:40).
- That the believers’ unity would be guarded (John 17:11).
- That believers would be set apart by the Word of God (John 17:17).
- In addition, Jesus is currently (presently and actively) advocating for us against the devil’s accusations (I John 2:1; Revelation 12:10).
II. The second answer is that Jesus is currently PREPARING for us!
- Our key passage is John 14:2!
- In heaven there are many staying-places (“mansions” is a poor translation of the Greek word meno). This word actually speaks of abiding (John 15) or staying awhile. We’ll be staying or dwelling there awhile.
- Jesus Himself went or traveled there in order to prepare a place for us. He’s actively engaged in making it ready.
- But what’s taking so long? Couldn’t He just speak the word and the heavenly city would be in existence immediately? Yes, He could, but is that what is really taking place?
- We’ve already noted some of the activities Christ is currently and actively engaged in, but would like to share with you an eye-opening word study from the Greek language as to how the word “prepare” or “be ready” (etoimasai) is used in the New Testament:
- Matthew 3:3 PREPARE ye the way of the Lord
- Matthew 22:4 I have PREPARED my dinner
- Matthew 25:34 Inherit the Kingdom PREPARED for you
- Matthew 25:41 Everlasting fire PREPARED for the devil and his angels
- Luke 1:17 TO MAKE READY a people prepared for the Lord
- Acts 23:23 PREPARE 200 soldiers, seventy horsemen
- I Corinthians 2:9 The things that God has PREPARED for those who love Him
- Hebrews 11:16 For He has PREPARED a city for them
- Revelation 19:7 And His wife HAS MADE herself READY
- Revelation 21:2 The holy city …PREPARED as a bride adorned for her husband.
- Jesus promised He’s coming again, and quickly so (Revelation 22:7, 12, 20)
- He’s NOT tarrying or delaying – – He’s right on schedule!
- In the meantime, we’re supposed to be busy about our Father’s business, praying, proclaiming the Word, waiting and watching (Titus 2:13)!
- Finally, make no mistake about it – – every day is one day closer to our meeting with Him in the clouds of the air (Romans 13:11)!
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9