“Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life” (Galatians 6:7, 8).
Several years ago I met a man in Washington, D.C. who claimed he had been through hell. He was making reference to his involvement with the war in Vietnam. He had seen some of his buddies ripped up by shrapnel and experienced many of the devastating horrors of the war. To him, this was hell. To others, hell is a curse word or the means of cracking a joke, “Me and my buddies are going to have a good beer down there,” they claim. But listen to what God, the One who prepared hell, says about it:
- It is a real place of everlasting fire, punishment and destruction (Matthew 25:41, 46; II Thessalonians 1:9) .
- It is a place of utter and outer darkness (Matthew 8:12).
- There will be degrees of punishment there (Luke 12:47, 48; Matthew 23:14).
- It is a place of torture from which nobody ever escapes (Luke 16:19-31).
- The devil, demons, the false prophet and beast, and all who have rejected the Gospel of Christ will spend all of eternity there without hope or a second chance (Revelation 19:20; 21:8; Matthew 10:14, 15).
For all those who think hell is a figment of someone’s imagination, a joke or an insignificant, irrelevant discussion, guess again! Turn to Christ while there is still hope, now is the day of salvation (II Corinthians 6:2). Tomorrow may be eternally too late.