“For by Him (Jesus Christ, God’s Son) all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth…. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist (in Greek: continue, endure, exist, hold together)” (Colossians 1:16, 17)
Ever notice the many trucks on the highway with the label “owner-operator?” In other words, you operate your own truck. It belongs to you and you’re in charge of it.
I recently came across some interesting info that puts this concept into perspective, but on a universal scale. (Most of this material is taken from Tada and Estes’ When God Weeps, 1997 ).
- God’s hand is over other people, good and bad (Proverbs 16:1, 4, 9)
- God’s hand is over satan and demons (Job 2:6)
- God’s hand is over animals and plants (Jonah 1:17; 2:10; 4:6, 7)
- God’s hand is over nature’s inanimate forces (Genesis 6:17; 19:24)
- God’s hand is over man-made machinery, tools and technology (Exodus 14:25)
- God’s hand is over our bodily afflictions (Exodus 4:11)
- God’s hand is over our psychological/spiritual afflictions (Lamentations 3:32)
That covers a lot of territory. In other words, this entire world is OWNED and OPERATED by the God of the Bible!
Therefore, we may conclude:
- No trial reaches us apart from God’s explicit decree and specific permission (Ephesians 1:11)
- God’s plan calls for all Christians to suffer (Philippians 1:29). [You may recall that one of the authors of this volume is Joni Eereckson Tada]!
- All suffering is custom-made for the believer’s eternal good (Romans 8:28)
- God cares most, not about making us comfortable, but teaching us to hate our sins, grow spiritually and love Him
- He gives salvation’s benefits only gradually and painfully so
- Every sorrow we taste will soon prove it was the best possible thing that could have happened to us!