“Search me, O God, and know my heart (mind, emotions, will); try me, and know my anxieties” (Psalm 139:23)
Believe it or not, even David, the greatest king of Israel, had his anxieties (I guess we all suffer the same malady from time to time)! The remedy he prescribes is an eye-opener:
I. Call to mind that the biblical God is OMNISCIENT – – He knows everything (Psalm 139:1-6)…
- He knows all about me (verse1)
- He knows all my movements (verses 2, 3)
- He knows all my thoughts and words from a distance (verses 2, 4)
- He knows it all – – too much for me to comprehend (verse 6)!
II. Call to mind that the biblical God is OMNIPRESENT – – the entire universe is constantly before Him! (Psalm 139:7-12)…
- There is no place to be or flee from His presence – – none (verses 7-10)
- Darkness (that He Himself created) is no obstacle to Him (verses 11-12)
III. Call to mind that the biblical God is OMNIPOTENT – – He is all powerful (Psalm 139:13-16)…
- He skillfully formed each individual in mom’s womb, in secret – – something only He could do (verses 13, 15)
- Each person is fearfully and wonderfully made by Him – – everyone is a marvelous work of God (verse 14)
- While still unformed, God beheld my human substance (verse 16)
- My entire life was fashioned for me prior to my being formed by God. As a matter of fact, my name was written in His book of life (verse 16)!
King David concludes with some very powerful observations:
- Those who act wickedly against God are His enemies and will be severely punished by Him. They are the bloodthirsty God-haters who also take His name (authority, identity, nature, reputation) in vain (verses 19-22).
- I need not be anxious any longer: “How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them” (verse 17)!
My ANXIETIES, but God’s ANSWERS!