“Having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart” (Ephesians 4:18)
We live in a society where many are ignorant (defined as “being without knowledge”) about some basic or elementary issues:
- Some don’t know grammar (for example, the difference between “there,” “their” and “they’re”)
- Some have no clue as to what is taking place in other parts of the world (such as Europe, Iran, Nigeria, Russia, Syria and/or Turkey)
- Some are unable to function socially, often due to being mesmerized by electronic toys (such as smart-phones or the TV)
- Some are unaware that religions differ and contradict each other
- And many today would have no clue what to do or where to go if there were to be a national emergency!
Our society, as a whole (with exceptions, of course) has been experiencing the “dumbing down” process. A book in my library, for example, is entitled The Dumbest Generation , authored by Mark Bauerlein. His subtitle reads, “How the Digital Age stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future.” Our educational system has drastically degenerated and affects not only the younger generation, but is across the board!
That having been said, perhaps the greatest area of cluelessness is in the realm of Truth! I am not talking about temporal truth, but eternal: not that which pertains to this life only, but that which relates to us after we die.
The Truth that really matters for eternity is found in the Person who said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to (God) the Father (who is in heaven) except through Me,” and His name is Jesus Christ (John 14:6)! It is He Himself who alone provides eternal life to the one who will place his faith in Him. John 17:3 states, “And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.”
No longer do you need to be clueless. Let me clue you in: no matter what evils will happen on this earth – – by believing in Christ alone, you will have eternal life, heaven and the peace of God ruling in your heart.