“For I know that my Redeemer lives, and He shall stand at last on the earth; and after my skin is destroyed, this I know that in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!” (Job 19:24-26)
For most folks Easter signifies a number of things: bunnies, dresses for the ladies, perhaps an annual visit to a church and probably a holiday from work. For a few, Easter takes on a special meaning: it is the celebration of the resurrection of God’s Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. But even for some of these believers, Easter comes and goes for another year.
Few take the time to reflect on the continuing theological meaning of Christ’s resurrection:
- It fulfilled Scripture, proving that the Bible is true (Luke 24:44-48)!
- It issues in immortality to the one who will believe (John 11:25, 26)!
- It guarantees the eternal judgment on all unbelievers (Acts 17:31)!
- It conclusively demonstrates that Jesus is God’s Son (Romans 1:4)!
- It declares Christ’s exaltation and intercession for us (Romans 8:34)!
- It provides hope for the believer’s future and seals his resurrection as well (I Corinthians 15:19-23)!
- It is the ultimate death-blow to evil and ensures ultimate victory for the good and the godly (I Corinthians 15:54–57; Colossians 2:15; Hebrews 2:14–16)!
- It proclaims Jesus Christ as the sovereign Lord of the universe (Ephesians 1:19-23)!
Easter isn’t nearly over! The resurrection of Jesus Christ has ramifications for all eternity! It may currently appear that evil is triumphant, but that is only short-lived. The final chapter has been written and the risen Christ rules this universe for all eternity. Will you be resurrected unto eternal life or unto everlasting punishment administered by the risen Christ? (Cf. John 5:22, 27). Religions lead to eternal ruin, but believing in Jesus Christ alone insures the resurrection of life with Him forever!