For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine (systematic biblical teaching), but according to their own desire, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things…” (II Timothy 4:3-5a)
Never in my life have I seen so many so-called “Christian” teachers floating around with as many gullible followers as there are today. Often, thousands flock to have their fancies tickled. Conferences abound studded with big-name attractions. Television viewers are often “star-struck” with these celebrities. After all, with such followings, how can these possibly be wrong? They use their Bibles, don’t they?
But here’s the rub – – one can use the Bible properly, but also abuse it without a proper discernment or interpretation. Today there are all too many teachers who are enamored with themselves and seek for additional fame and funds! Quite often, their associations are also questionable.
Here are only some of the compromises in which these professed teachers have indulged (mixing truth with error):
- Advocating licentious lifestyles while preaching spirituality
- Seeking to be just like the world they’re supposedly trying to reach
- Always begging for additional funds instead of trusting God to supply
- Substituting the social gospel for the biblical Gospel
- Selectively dismissing portions of the Bible and its teachings
- Dismissing God’s present & future program for the Jews & Israel
- Proclaiming a loving God but not His coming judgment on unbelievers
The list is endless: it would literally take itemized pages to provide the names and numbers of apostates, heretics, cultists and compromisers today.
Paul, the apostle, warned of the time when these would abound! He adds, “But YOU, be watchful in all things!” In other words, know the Word of God and follow its teachings! Don’t be fooled by big names, numbers or religious charlatans, circuses and hucksters!