Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth:” (Proverbs 27:1)
“Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away” (James 4:14)
So, I get this phone-call – – “Your sister-in-law is hovering between life and death.” That was Sunday morning, the 20th of January. A few days earlier, “Your brother is at Hershey Medical Center being wheeled in for emergency surgery on his head!” This last communiqué came from my sister, also hospitalized at the time.
How life can change, and how quickly that can happen – – to anyone, to you:
- Yesterday, you were healthy – – tomorrow, you’re near death
- Yesterday, you were a somebody – – tomorrow, you’re a “nobody”
- Yesterday, you were happy – – tomorrow, you’re depressed
- Yesterday, you were hopeful- – tomorrow, you’re with little hope
- Yesterday, you had a job – – tomorrow, you’re laid off
- Yesterday, you had friends – – tomorrow, you’re all alone
- Yesterday, you had plenty – – tomorrow, you’re depleted
- Yesterday, you had a home – – tomorrow, you’re homeless!
Is there any way to prepare for such eventualities? What can one do to have peace in times of such trials and tragedies?
Let me simplify things for you: You need peace with God and the peace that comes only from the God of the Bible! He alone is able to shield you from the stormy blasts of life! Please meditate on Psalm 91 – – BEFORE the next storm arrives! Then pray and ask the Holy Spirit of God to apply it to your life.